Rural Chile Experience and
Intensive Spanish Program
Programs created for Notre Dame and Marquette Universities
Bienvenidos, Bienvenidas al fin del mundo! – Welcome at the end of the world!
Despite the beautiful and richness of the land, poverty and joblessness afflict many urban areas and are endemic in the countryside; among the most heavily affected are Chile’s million plus indigenous people, of whom the Mapuche are the largest group.
Environmental problems abound: among them are pesticide poisoning in agricultural areas, polluted rivers, the rapid spread of erosion and the yearly encroachment of the northern desert on the country’s central region.
Maryknoll Lay Missioners provides an intensive Program of Spanish language and Chilean idioms through classroom work, practical and cultural experiences to increase knowledge of terminology, vocabulary and cultural differences in communication. They will introduce you to Chilean rural life, history and culture through presentations, both academic and artistic, tours to different areas of interest and a living experience with a Chilean rural family to strengthen your cross-cultural competencies and language.
Requirements for joining any trip to Chile:
In order to have a great time please consider these guidelines:
- A strong desire to better your language skills in preparation for the semester of studies.
- High responsibility with schedule of classes and activities planned
- Doing the visits to the different ministries and enjoying tourist sites requires ability to walk, unassisted, up to 45 minutes without stopping and ability to remain standing for up to 30 minutes.
- Openness to experience, learn and respect another culture. It is very important to dialogue with the families and to follow the family rules and suggestions.
- Ability to climb up and down stairs – getting in and out of transportation, accommodation sites, and from airplanes without walkways.
- Ability to eat a variety of foods, vegetarian diets can be handled.
- Willingness to be different; due to physical traits such as skin complexion, language, clothing and other individual characteristics.